Preparing for Lizzie's Arrival

Friday, August 15, 2014

Lizzie is due to arrive in about five weeks. It seems crazy close and still so far away. I know I'm technically "full term" in less than two weeks, but when I got to 36 weeks with Joey and the doctor started internal checks, I was dilated to a three/four and 100% effaced. At that time the doctor told me he was sure I'd be going into labor soon, and that he expected to see me in labor and delivery before my next appointment the following week.

What a JOKE. He told me that every week for the next four appointments, too. I was only a couple of days late with Joey, but what that experience taught me is that babies come when they are supposed to come, and for me--- for whatever reason--- I feel like Lizzie needs a little more time to grow and develop and so I'm just not going to expect her to arrive before her due date. Obviously, if I go into labor before then I'm not going to be in denial and ignore the signs. However, the last four weeks of Joey's pregnancy were a mind game; "did my water just break, or did I just pee a little?", "Was that a legit contraction, or a braxton hicks, or was it even a contraction at all?","Will I go into labor today or tomorrow?"... I'm not doing that again.

At our last appointment (34 weeks) the doctor reviewed the ultrasound we had at 32 weeks (which I had mentioned in a previous post). The ultrasound was done so that they could check Lizzie's size and determine if my due date was off. Well, it turns out that my due date is 100% correct, meaning that my EDD according to my last period matches how Lizzie is measuring exactly to the day. My belly still measures really small compared to other women who are as far along as I am. Dr. Majors says that Lizzie is definitely a petite little lady. His exact words were, "She'll be easier for you to poop out". At almost 33 weeks they determined that she weighed just under 4 lbs, which from what I  have read is a little over 1/2 lb. less than an average fetus at 33 weeks.

BTW, I know I've had a baby before, but I feel totally clueless. I don't feel like I am going to remember how to care for a newborn; mom says it will come back to me. How on earth do people do this? And, wait, is it possible to care for a newborn and a toddler...?? I feel like the parental sleep deprivation around here is going to be at an all time high.

We've spent the past couple of days setting up Lizzie's "nursery"--- aka a corner of our bedroom. It's really simple, just a cradle, a plastic dresser with clothes (that we have washed and folded), and some diaper changing/breastfeeding supplies. I will admit that sometimes I wish I could give Lizzie her own room, and go all out like some of the adorable baby girl nurseries I see on Pinterest. But, then I remember that our circumstances are meager (a budget for a baby nursery entirely non-existent), and if I did do that I'd be going into debt to give her something she won't even remember, and likely doesn't care about. Something about this tiny little corner of our room humbles me into remembering that all she really needs is a family who will love her and take care of her, which is something we are more than willing to do.

Still the room needs a little personality. Maybe one of these days there will be a little extra money in our budget for a small craft to hang on her wall above the cradle; I'm thinking of doing a cute "E" monogram but I haven't decided on a style that I love yet. It'll probably end up being something simple like a wooden or cardboard letter with some cute scrapbook paper mod-poged on.

I've mentioned it before but we are SO excited to meet our little girl. As her due date approaches we will be working even harder to get Joey excited about her arrival too. He's been helping us wash her clothes and blankets, and we've been encouraging him to talk to her. He often whispers to my belly; it is pretty cute. Every once in a while he will even "share" one of his toys with her by placing it on my belly.

Just five more weeks! We will be sure to let everyone know when she is finally here!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
site design by designer blogs